New year, new you? Not quite a cliché, resolutions offer a chance to hit the reset button and chart a course for a brighter 12 months.
As one of New Year resolution quotes goes:
Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress. – Charles Kettering
The Most Popular Habits People Want to Develop
Improving physical health
This goal appears to be the most popular resolution among all age groups.
A significant number of respondents across all age groups want to adopt healthier eating habits.
While subjective, a substantial number of people resolve to focus on happiness.
Learning something new
This resolution has a significant bubble size, indicating many adults are eager to learn. Acquiring a new skill, whether it's a language or a creative hobby, can stimulate the mind, enhance personal growth, and bring a sense of accomplishment.
Developing a consistent reading habit can broaden knowledge, improve cognitive function, and provide relaxation and enjoyment.
Many people strive to develop saving habits to secure their financial future, plan for emergencies, and achieve financial stability.
Additionally, people may strive for a multitude of personal enhancements that extend beyond the typical resolutions of health and finance.
Learning effective time tracking and time management strategies allows individuals to make the most of their day and remove anxiety.
Reducing Screen Time
Limiting the time spent on electronic devices, particularly social media, can increase the ability to focus and ignore digital distractions.
Cultivating an attitude of gratitude and appreciating positive aspects of life can boost happiness, improve mental health, and strengthen relationships.
Decluttering and Organization
Organizing physical spaces and decluttering both digitally and physically can improve productivity and create a more serene environment.
However, according to the Forbes Health/OnePoll survey, sticking to New Year's resolutions is a challenge for many people. In particular, it found that the average resolution lasts just 3.74 months.
Fortunately, there are strategies to increase the likelihood of successfully sticking to New Year's resolutions:
- Setting goals that align with a time of change or need for change can boost motivation
- Expecting obstacles and planning to overcome them can prevent setbacks
- Breaking down challenging goals into smaller, measurable chunks can make them more manageable and allow for the celebration of progress.
- Establishing accountability with technology designed to track time and stay productive.
To avoid willpower struggle, it is time to embrace one of the 12 habit trackers listed below that can be a secret weapon for breaking bad habits and unlocking lasting change.
How Habit Formation Works
Habit tracking apps utilize a 'Cue-Action-Reward' loop by providing reminders to encourage users to take the step toward their goals and perform the desired action.
After the action, the app often gives positive feedback or displays streaks, which serve as a reward, reinforcing the behavior and promoting the establishment of a productive habit loop.
🪄Streaks celebrates consecutive days of accomplishing your habit
Streaks is a powerful habit tracker app that allows you to set goals and monitor your habit-building. With its customizable dashboard, Streaks makes it easy to keep things visually appealing and motivating.
Ideal for Apple users, this app helps you build habits with a focus on maintaining streaks and provides users with insights into their accomplishments.
- Creating up to 24 tasks daily
- Customization of recurring tasks
- Native integration of fitness habits with Apple Health data
- Localized for 23 languages.
🪄Habit Now offers a robust experience on a free version
HabitNow is a habit tracker app designed to assist users in maintaining and monitoring their daily routines and habits. It's available on the Google Play Store and developed by HabitNow Office, Argentina.
An Android-friendly app, it offers customization for goals, task management, and progress visualization.
- It operates on the principle of habit formation, which involves creating a routine and repeating it consistently until it becomes automatic
- The app's customization options for habits include simple yes/no prompts or prompts with multiple variables and set goals, such as drinking a certain amount of water per day
- The app also includes a social aspect, allowing users to connect with friends and family to share their progress, get support, and keep motivated.
Price: Free with in-app purchases
🪄 stikK transforms habit-building into a commitment
StickK is a unique platform for individuals who are serious about building habits, setting their commitments, and holding themselves accountable.
- Users can set personal goals and attach financial stakes to them. If the goal is not met, the staked money can be forfeited to designated parties. This unique approach leverages financial consequences as a motivator for habit formation
- It offers a community where like-minded people can connect, motivate each other, and exchange strategies for success.
Available for individual users, groups, and workplaces.
Price: Free to join
🪄 Way of Life offers diverse ways to track your habits, going beyond simple checkmarks
It is an intuitive habit-building app that assists users in tracking and modifying their daily habits effectively.
- Users can list habits they want to cultivate and track them with a straightforward "yes" or "no" system, making it easy to observe patterns and make necessary adjustments
- The app provides visual graphs, which are handy for users to quickly assess their progress over time
- It offers powerful reminders with flexible scheduling, custom messages, and the ability to set up personalized entries, adding to its user-friendly nature.
Price: The app is free to download and use, with a limitation of tracking up to three items. For an additional $3.99, users can unlock the premium version, which allows for an unlimited number of items.
🪄Habitify prioritizes ease of use with a clean, intuitive interface
Habitify serves as a digital companion for habit formation, offering reminders, progress tracking, and a range of features to support personal growth and habit management.
- Users can customize their habit tracking based on their daily routines and life areas, enhancing the app's relevance to individual needs
- The app provides smart reminders, acting like a personal coach to keep users engaged and motivated to maintain their habits
- Habitify offers detailed charts and statistics, enabling users to visually track their progress and stay motivated by observing their streaks and achievements.
Price: On a free version, users can track up to 15 habits per week. The Premium version is $4.99 and includes unlimited habits, habit archiving, and yearly calendar views.
🪄 Loop calculates the strength of your habits based on consistency
Loop Habit Tracker is an Android-friendly app with a clean, minimalistic interface and a flexible scheduling system that accommodates various habit frequencies.
- The app is open-source and completely free to use. It doesn't have any ads, making it a user-friendly option for those who prefer an ad-free experience.
- Loop allows you to set habits for a certain number of days every week, providing flexibility in habit tracking. This feature is particularly useful for habits that don't need to be done daily.
- The app includes detailed graphs and statistics to show how your habits have improved over time, offering valuable insights into your progress.
- Loop works offline and respects user privacy, ensuring that your data is stored locally and not sent to any servers.
🪄 Habitica turns developing a habit into a role-playing game, where you create a character, complete quests (your habits), and battle monsters (representing unhealthy or unproductive behaviors)
This habit tracker app, available on iOS, Android, and the web, uses gamification to make it fun and engaging to stay on track with your habits and goals.
- It turns habit tracking into a gamified experience by turning your habits, tasks, and goals into quests.
- It also allows you to join guilds and teams to share progress and stay accountable.
- Users can create their own tasks, habits, and rewards that suit their needs, adding a personal touch to their habit-tracking journey.
Price: Habitica offers a free version with many features. For additional perks, there are subscription options, starting with $4.99 monthly, including 25 gems.
🪄 Flora combines habit tracking with a focus on mindfulness and relaxation
An innovative app that helps reduce phone usage and build positive habits by growing virtual trees, – it's particularly effective for those trying to limit distractions.
- It uses the Pomodoro technique and gamifies the experience by allowing users to grow virtual trees during focused work sessions.
- Flora differentiates itself with a multi-user function, allowing friends to plant trees together, which dies if anyone uses their phone.
- The app also offers a feature called Flora Care, enabling users to pay to plant real trees as an incentive for maintaining focus.
Price: The Flora App is free to download and use, but some features, such as the ability to identify an unlimited number of plants, require a subscription. The subscription fee is $4.99 per month.
How do habit trackers help in building new habits?
Habit trackers are a powerful tool for building new habits and breaking old ones. They provide a clear visual representation of your progress, helping you stay consistent and held accountable for your actions. Plus, the act of tracking itself can help reinforce positive behaviors, making it easier to stick to your routine and make lasting changes.
Can habit trackers handle complex habits or routines?
Many habit trackers are designed to handle complex habits or routines. They offer customization options for different frequencies (daily, weekly, multiple times a day) and different types of habits. Some advanced trackers also integrate with other apps for impeccable habit management.
Looking to cultivate healthy task management habits? Look no further than TMetric Time Tracker, your ultimate productivity partner!